I felt like at least one thing had to be deep fried this evening, so I gave this a try. I read a lot of recipes about vegetables being deep fried and served with spiced mayonnaise. I figured this would be an opportunity to make my own aioli instead! I have been looking forward to an opportunity to try this out.
I know the proper way to make aioli is whipping by hand, but seeing as I had 12 different recipes on the table, I decided to use an immersion blender to make the sauce. It worked perfectly, and really quickly. I rarely recommend bypassing tradition, but here I falter because I already have carpel tunnel syndrome.
A pound or about 30 fresh okra
4 large eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups cornmeal
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprica
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Aioli Two Ways
8 egg yolks
3 tbsp dijon mustard
6 cloves finely minced garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper
1 tsp paprica
- To make Aioli, place egg yolks, mustard, garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl. Blend with immersion blender.
- Separately, combine the two oils. Slowly pour them in as you are blending, stopping occasionally to prevent separation.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove half of the aioli to a serving dish and serve as is, mix paprika into the second half for a spicier variety.
- Slice okra in half lengthwise.
- Combine eggs, half and half, and chili powder in a low bowl.
- Place flour in a second low bowl.
- Place cornmeal and the remaining spices in a third bowl.
- Use your right hand to coat an okra in flour, shake off the excess.
- Drop into the bowl of egg mixture.
- Use your left hand to roll the okra around and cover all sides in mixture. Carefully drop into the cornmeal mixture.
- Use your right hand to roll in the cornmeal mixture. Set aside on a plate or a piece of foil.
- Heat peanut or vegetable oil to fry. Fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper lined plate.
- Grind some fresh salt on top. Serve with the two aioli variations.
- Serve immediately, it will not last for long.
Total time: 1 hour