Melon with Smoked Salmon and Lavender Infused Olive Oil
40 minutes, 5 minutes active
I was walking in the market and smelled this amazing melon, I decided I had to buy it! It turned out to be an Orange Flesh Chair Orange Honeydew. It is amazing! I highly recommend buying this melon if you see it. It has a thin exterior, and an amazing scent, kind of like honeysuckle. Once it is sliced, it looks like a standard melon, but tastes so much better!
I was going to serve this with the standard prosciutto, but then I saw Bon Appetit’s article on serving melon with smoked salmon. I love smoked salmon! I wanted to give the dish a bit more complexity by infusing my olive oil with some dried lavender flowers. Delicious! And so easy to make. I love this variation on the classic appetizer. Give it a try!
We served the dish with some crusty bread and Roast Eggplant Caprese with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette.
- 1 tbsp dried lavender, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 melon
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- finishing salt and pepper
- Infuse olive oil with crushed or ground lavender.Leave for about a half an hour or more.
- Strain out lavender pieces.
- Slice melon and remove peel.
- Drape a bit of smoked salmon on each slice of melon..
- Drizzle lavender olive oil.
- Season with finishing salt and some freshly ground peppercorns.