We make a lot of soups throughout the week. Nico loves soups, and I love liquids that go along with big loaves of bread! This quick curry soup can be made with the mixture of sweet potato and carrot, or with either of the roots, whatever you have on hand! I have made all three variations over and over again to great result.
The soup pairs well with baguette, but I love to pair it with a batch of freshly made Buttered Naan! Both naan and soup keep well in the fridge and freezer, so I generally make a double or triple batch and pour it into smaller containers for lunches for the rest of the week.
Curried Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
2 pounds of sweet potatoes and carrots, combined. Peeled and chopped to small pieces
4 tbsp olive or vegetable oil, divided
2 small onions, chopped
3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprica
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp coriander
4-6 cups of chicken or veggie stock, depending on the consistency you enjoy
1/2 can coconut milk, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat sweet potatoes and carrots in 2 tbsp oil on a large cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all spices, toast for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add roast veggies and broth. Boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Puree with immersion blender.
- Add coconut milk and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with some cilantro and naan.
Total cooking time: 40 minutes